Biophony Research Residency
Just received my letter of invitation to The Biophony Artist Research Program at Ayatana in Ottawa, Canada This May! I will be studying the acoustics of ecology and the sounds of wildlife in the program BIOPHONY: Bioacoustics for artists/Biology for sound artists.
Im excited to use lasers to listen to a caterpillars stories.
This week long residency will allow me to use the facilities provided and the landscape itself to study the acoustic ecology of the native wildlife. Some of the activities include:
- Lectures from Ottawa University
- Fabrication of Ultrasonic Listening Devices
- Fabrication of Binaural Microphones
- Biophonic listening opportunities
- Using lasers to listen to catapillars
This is an incredible opportunity to incorpoorate Acoustic Ecology into my current studio practice.
All of that being said, I will need help to offset the costs of traveling to Ottawa and participating in this research program.
PROGRAM COSTS: $1,869 TOTAL
I have already raised 1/3 of the total trip costs by securing a $600 grant
from Common Circuits, a DIY Electronic Music Festival.
This is in support from Streetcat Media. Thank you Streetcat!
RAISED FUNDS: $600
Grants: (Common Circuits Grant)
FUNDS NEEDED: $1169
Here is a breakdown of the total costs:
- Round trip Flight to Ottawa
($1469, Residency Fees)
- Daily guided explorations of Canadian wildlife, biology laboratories and farms
- Ground travel to all activities/excursions
Your support will be incredibly beneficial towards my research as an artist who's work revolves around science and discovery.
Thank you for your time and consideration!
-MFA Candidate at Georgia State University